Thursday, July 11, 2013

State of the Blog

Here I am, having taken several days away from this blog to do other tasks with deadlines and timeframes that didn't work well with this project.

For some time, I've questioned whether I should continue with these posts. They've been a helpful exercise, forcing me to write about themes I might not address otherwise and making sure I got some writing practice done every day. Heck, I started this blog to make sure that I got some writing in, even on days when I couldn't find the focus to work on longer stories. And as disappointed as I feel when I put the blog on hiatus, I can deal with it. I mean, it's not as if I can't make up for the days I missed.

But being away brought me back to thinking about the big reason I debate continuing this blog as it is, which is that there are simply other stories I want to write, ones that don't fit into the "one picture + one story a day" format or that I'd rather submit and publish elsewhere. I miss spending more time with characters and getting to know them, y'know? The big problem with the big reason is that there's not enough time in my workday to do all the writing I want to do!

My thought now is to leave this blog not as an everyday commitment, but a space where I can work my writing brain with some short posts if I need a warmup or if I have an image with a story that needs to be told. I'm not sure if that's what I'll end up doing, but I might post this and see how I feel about it tomorrow.

If you've been reading this blog while I've been posting, please know that I'm grateful for your attention. There are a lot of good writers out there, and I'm pleased as all get-out that you spent some of your reading time on my posts. I hope it's been as fun for you so far as it's been for me. :)

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy this blog, and I also totally understand the need to not feel like its an obligation. Do what you need to do, as long as you keep writing!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete