Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"Stuffed"


 

I sat with Bear in her cave, because there wasn't much else either one of us could do at the moment.

"Sometimes," I said, taking a sixth slice of pizza from the box, "when I do stuff like this, I imagine that my stomach's full of rocks. Like I'm just swallowing rocks and sinking them down in my belly. Because that's how I'm going to get myself to stay in my chair and get everything that I need and want to get done done. I am weighing myself down so that I have no choice but to sit and work."

"I think that's just all the cheese you're feeling," said Bear. I looked at her and chuckled. "Seriously," she continued, "you should try some protein next time. Fills you up longer." She herself was enjoying one of several fish that her mighty claws had snatched from the river, with a complement of berries that she had shaken free from a nearby bush.

"Well, aren't you the healthiest bulk eater in all the land," I said. "Next I know, you'll be telling me about the virtues of eating several small meals throughout the day."

"That 'grazing' bullshit? Hah, what do I look like, a deer? I am not a fucking deer," said Bear. "I have things to do."

"Me, too. In fact, I should probably get going soon."

Bear extended an open paw toward me. Several round, red fruit rolled around on the pad. "Take some berries?" she asked.

"Nah, I'm stuffed," I said. "Plus, I think for humans, those might be psychotropic."

She raised her eyebrows and pushed her paw closer.

"I write better with a clearer head," I insisted. Standing, I pointed to my box of pizza. "You want the rest of my cheese-flavored granite?"

Bear sniffed. "Yeah, leave it," she said, "I might be hungry when I get up."

"I'll call you later," I told her.

"Much later," she agreed. "Hate being woken up early. This body does not do Januaries."

I gave her a hug before I left her cave; already she was round with everything she would need for the winter. I saw her roll onto her great side as I walked away, preparing herself for the long work of dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment