Sunday, May 26, 2013

"Shadows Are Just Ghosts with Really Bad Manners"


 

That was what my niece told me, anyway. Of course, she doesn't like it when anyone gets too close to her; that was what I thought about when she spoke. Hugs have long been an issue between her and her mom.

Just for a laugh, though, I glanced down at my shadow while my niece and I were out walking today and said, "You know, for as long as you've been hanging around, it would be nice if you at least said 'hi.'"

In response, my shadow leaped away. I saw it dart beneath a bush and couldn't find it after that.

The sun kept shining the rest of the afternoon, but I was stuck shadowless beneath it. My niece gave me a hug at one point. That same moment, I saw her shadow shrug. I'd never felt so cold or, despite the absence of the ghost that had followed me my whole life, so haunted.

No comments:

Post a Comment