Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Death and the Child"


 

"Who are you?" the child asked. His face rose over the edge of the table, round and red like the summer sun.

The diminutive reaper turned, startled, having forgotten for some time about the unusual powers of children. "Me? Why, no one at all," she said. "Just something you're dreaming, a tiny figure you've imagined passing through your home."

"But I can see you. And I can hear you."

"Well," Death said with a sigh, "if you must know, I'm one of the most terrifying forces at work in the human world, even though I do nothing wrong. I am small and simple, yet I can and will be found everywhere, eventually. I am power. I am mystery."

"I think you should talk to Space Captain Zoom," said the child, who pinched Death's head and lifted her off the table into his toy box, where, as with his other playthings, he could keep her out of the way until such time as he thought about her once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment