Sunday, June 2, 2013

"Never Tear Us Apart"


 

"Please! Let me down!" the fledgling robin chirped as the hawk plucked it from the ground.

"Sure, I'll get right on that," said the hawk.

The robin's voice nipped at the air as it continued to cry. "Please! My brother's down there! I can't leave him alone, or else he'll get in trouble."

The hawk's response was to release the young robin and let her go tumbling across the lawn just below them. The hawk glided onto the grass behind her.

"So let me get this straight," the hawk said as the robin righted itself. "You believe that if I let you go back to your brother--brother, you said, yes?--you'll be able to keep him out of trouble, and he'll be fine?"

"Oh, yes," the robin said, giving her feathers a shake. "That's what our mom said. She said that as long as we stay together, we'll be all right."

"I see," said the hawk. "Well, then, I believe we have no choice but to go find your brother." The way the hawk spread her wings, it was almost as if she knew how to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment